Salivary gland tumours in Hospital Kuala Lumpur: A 10 year review

by March 9, 2021
  • Version
  • Download 0
  • File Size 166 KB
  • File Count 1
  • Create Date March 9, 2021
  • Last Updated March 9, 2021

Salivary gland tumours in Hospital Kuala Lumpur: A 10 year review

Wan Mahadzir Mustafa, Nornazaliza Basri, Abdul Rahim Zakaria: Salivary gland tumours in Hospital Kuala Lumpur: A 10 year review. Mal. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 2010; 8: 6–11.

Abstract: OBJECTIVE: The purpose of this study was to document the pattern of salivary gland tumours that were treated in Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Hospital Kuala Lumpur, during the 10-year period. MATERIAL AND METHOD: Data of 18 patients were retrieved from the operation theatre book and clinical records from the year 2000-2009. The collection of data included presenting symptoms, gender, age, ethnicity, location, histopathology and treatment of the tumour. RESULTS: The most common presenting symptom was swelling. The patients’ ages ranged from 16 to 62 years and the peak incidence age of the tumour was in 5th to 6th decade. There was an equal sex distribution. The majority of patients were Malays (55.56%, n=10) followed by Chinese (22.2%, n=4) and the remaining were Indian (11.1%, n=2), Iban(n=1, 1.56%) and Bajau (n=1, 5.56%). Among 18 incident cases, 8 cases were benign and 10 cases were malignant. Of 18 cases, 72.2% (n=13) were from minor salivary gland and the remaining (27.8%, n=5) from major salivary glands. Pleomorphic adenoma was the most prevalent tumour and the only one benign lesion, and mucoepidermoid carcinoma was the most common malignant tumour. The palate was the main site of occurrence of the salivary gland tumour followed by the parotid region. Treatment modality was mainly surgical in both benign and malignant tumors. Combined surgery and radiotherapy were employed in five patients who had adenoid cystic carcinoma, salivary ductal carcinoma, polymorphous low grade adenocarcinoma and adenocarcinoma in the maxilla. Eight of the ten patients presenting with malignant salivary gland tumours survived beyond two years. CONCLUSION: The majority of patients with salivary gland tumours were encountered in the 5th and 6th decades. A higher frequency of salivary gland tumour in Malays than Chinese or Indians was noted. Consistent with reports from the English literature pleomorphic adenoma was the most common salivary gland tumour while mucoepidermoid carcinoma was the most frequently occurring malignant salivary gland tumour.