Applications are invited for membership and renewal of membership to the Malaysian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.
Membership of the Association shall be one of five categories:
Types of membership:
- Ordinary Member
- Life Member
- Trainee Member
- Associate Member
- Honorary Member
Eligibility for membership.
1) Ordinary Membership
Individual residing in Malaysia registered under the Dental Act or the Medical Act of Malaysia, who hold an additional qualification in, or related to, the specialty of oral and maxillofacial surgery and engage in the practice of the said specialty.
The candidate must possess a basic degree in dentistry recognised under the Dental Act of Malaysia.
2) Life Membership
Ordinary members who have been in benefit for at least five consecutive years shall be eligible to apply for life membership. Application shall be made to the Honorary Secretary together with payment of the prescribed fee.
3) Trainee Membership
Individuals registered under the Dental Act of the Medical Act of Malaysia (or of the individual country), who are currently engaged in a training programme in the specialty of oral and maxillofacial surgery.
4) Associate Membership
Dentists and doctors registered under the Dental Act of the Medical Act of Malaysia (or of the individual country), who may not hold a qualification in the specialty or oral and maxillofacial surgery.
Individuals who hold additional qualification in the specialty of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery but residing outside Malaysia.
5) Honorary Membership
Men and women of distinction including laymen, who have made outstanding contributions to the progress of oral and maxillofacial surgery. Nomination shall be proposed by the Executive Committee and approved by a simple majority of members present at the Annual General Meeting. Members of the association shall be given three weeks notice of such proposal for Honorary Memberships.
Application for ordinary, trainee and associate memberships shall be proposed and seconded by two members, either ordinary members in benefit or life members. The application should be sent to the Secretary together with the prescribed fees. Approval of applications shall be decided by the Executive Committee.
- Ordinary and Life Members:
- Shall have the right to actively participate in all general meetings of the Association
- Have the right to nominate or second a candidate for admission to the Association.
- Have the right to stand for election, to nominate or second a candidate for election and to vote in the Association’s election.
- Associate, Trainee and Honorary Members:
- Have all the privileges of the Ordinary and Life Members except the right to vote, nominate or second a candidate for admission or election or to stand for election.
Obligation of Membership
All members shall abide by the constitution and not act in any way detrimental to its objectives.
- The entrance fee shall be Ringgit Malaysia One Hundred and Fifty (RM150).
- The annual subscription fee for Ordinary, Trainee or Associate Membership is Ringgit Malaysia One Hundred (RM100). The annual subscription is due on the first day of January and is payable in advance.
- Life membership is Ringgit Malaysia One Thousand (RM1,000) and exempted from annual subscription thereafter
- Any special subscription for a particular purpose may only be raised with the consent of members at the general meeting.
- An Honorary Member shall not be required to pay the annual subscription.
Cessation of Membership
Any member shall cease to be a member of the Association in the following circumstances:
- If formal resignation in writing is given to the Secretary of the Association
- If the member’s name has been removed from the Register of the Malaysian Dental Council of Malaysia Medical Council
- Member of the Association whose subscription is more than twelve months in arrears, and who has been notified thereof, shall cease to belong to the Association. Reinstatement shall be possible with the consent of Council after formal application and payment of arrears have been made. Payment or arrears may be waived, at the discretion of Council, in extenuating circumstances.
In the context that follows, all references to Ordinary members shall include Life members unless otherwise specified.